GET YOUR REFUND FAST.
FILE ONLINE FOR FREE.
With more money in your pocket, you’ll be on your way to saving toward a better future.
Need to File Your 2020 Tax Return?
If your household earned less than $60,000 in 2020, you can file both your federal and state returns for free using MyFreeTaxes.com.
File from home or anywhere with high-speed internet.
70% of taxpayers qualify for 100% FREE federal and state filing
E-File your return and use Direct Deposit to get your tax refund as soon as possible.
Here's how it works!
Get Connected to our
Free Online Tax Software
This easy-to-use website is approved by the IRS and offers telephone support!
Complete Your Return
Answer a series of guided questions and tax forms are automatically generated for you. Get your refund ASAP with direct deposit.
Ready to file for free?
Frequently Asked Questions
MyFreeTaxes helps people file their taxes for free while getting the assistance they need.
Our self-preparation software (accessible by selecting the “By myself” option on our homepage) is completely free.
We also connect MyFreeTaxes users who need more support filing their return to partner nonprofits who are part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program (accessible by clicking on the “With assistance” option on our homepage.)
Common tax situations covered in MyFreeTaxes include:
- W-2 income
- Self employment income (Schedule C and 1099)
- Mortgage interest deduction
- Health savings accounts (HSAs)
- Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
- Unemployment income
- Student education expenses and credits
- Student loan interest
- Claiming the standard deduction
- Itemized returns
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
- Child tax credits
- Child and dependent care expenses
- Non-resident returns
- Amended tax returns
For a complete list of forms included (or excluded) in MyFreeTaxes, see FAQs below.
Yes! If you have questions or need help while using MyFreeTaxes.com, you can call 888-698-9435. Telephone support is available between 10AM to 10PM EST until April 30th. If you file between May 1st to October 31st, telephone support will be available Monday through Friday from 10AM to 6PM EST.
MyFreeTaxes is 100% free. There are no charges or fees associated with any of our tax filing options.
United Way operates MyFreeTaxes and is committed to ensuring that you can easily and accurately file your taxes to receive the refunds you deserve. We care about making taxes free and less complicated in a safe and convenient online experience.
MyFreeTaxes includes the same federal and state forms offered in most major tax filing platforms. Here is the complete list of forms that are included in our self preparation software (accessible by selecting the “By myself” option on our homepage):
- Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return
- Form 1040-NR U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return
- Form 1040-PR Self-Employment Tax Return – Puerto Rico
- Form 1040-SR Individual Income Tax Return for Seniors
- Form 1040-ES Estimated Tax
- Form 1040-V Payment Voucher
- Form 1040-X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- Form W-2 Wages and Taxes
- Schedule 1 Additional Income and Adjustments to Income
- Schedule 2 Additional Taxes
- Schedule 3 Additional Credits and Payments
- Schedule A Itemized Deductions
- Schedule B Interest and Dividend Income
- Schedule C/EZ Profit or Loss from Business
- Schedule D Capital Gains or Losses
- Schedule E Rental and Royalty Income
- Schedule EIC Earned Income Credit
- Schedule F Profit or Loss from Farming
- Schedule H Household Employment Taxes
- Schedule K-1 1065 Distribution Partnership
- Schedule K-1 1041 Estate and Trust Income
- Schedule K-1 1120-S Shareholders Share of Income
- Schedule R Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
- Schedule SE Self-Employment Tax
- Schedule 8812 Additional Child Tax Credit
- Form 982 Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness
- Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- Form 1095-B Health Coverage
- Form 1095-C Employer-provided Health Insurance Coverage
- Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement
- Form 1098-C Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats and Airplanes
- Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest
- Form 1098-MA Mortgage Assistance Payment
- Form 1098-T Tuition Payment
- Form 1099-A Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property
- Form 1099-B Proceeds from Broker Transactions
- Form 1099-C Cancellation of Debt
- Form 1099-DIV Dividends and Distributions Income
- Form 1099-G Certain Government Payments
- Form 1099-INT Interest Income
- Form 1099-K Payment Card and Third Party Transactions
- Form 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income
- Form 1099-NEC Non-Employee Compensation
- Form 1099-OID Original Issue Discount
- Form 1099-Q Payments from Qualified Education Programs
- Form 1099-R Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement, or Profit Sharing
- Form 1099-RRB Railroad Retirement
- Form 1099-S Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions
- Form 1099-SA Distributions from an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA
- Form 1099-SSA Social Security Distributions
- Form 1310 Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer
- Form 2120 Multiple Support Declaration
- Form 2210 Underpayment Penalty
- Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Credit
- Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income
- Form 3468 Investment Credit
- Form 3800 General Business Credit
- Form 3909 Moving Expenses (Military Only)
- Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
- Form 4137 Tax on Unreported Tip Income
- Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization
- Form 4684 Casualties and Theft
- Form 4797 Sales of Business Property
- Form 4835 Farm Rental Income and Expenses
- Form 4868 Automatic Extension of Time to File
- Form 4952 Investment Interest Expense Deduction
- Form 5329 Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts
- Form 5405 First-Time Homebuyer Credit and Repayment of the Credit
- Form 5498 IRA Contribution Individuals
- Form 5498 SA Health Savings Account
- Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
- Form 5884-A Employee Retention Credit
- Form 6251 Alternative Minimum Tax
- Form 6252 Installment Sale Income
- Form 6765 Credit for Increasing Research Activities from Pass-through Entities
- Form 6781 Gains and Losses from Section 1256 Contracts
- Form 7202 Credits for Sick Leave and Family Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals
- Form 8283 Non-Cash Contributions
- Form 8332 Release of Claim to Exemption
- Form 8379 Injured Spouse
- Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
- Form 8453 Electronic Filing
- Form 8582 Passive Activity
- Form 8606 Nondeductible IRAs
- Form 8615 Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income
- Form 8814 Parents’ Election To Report Child’s Interest and Dividends
- Form 8815 Exclusion of Interest from Series EE and I U.S. Savings Bonds
- Form 8829 Business Use of Home
- Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
- Form 8853 Archer MSAs and Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts
- Form 8859 DC First-Time Homebuyer Credit
- Form 8862 Information to Claim Earned Income Credit after Disallowance
- Form 8863 Education Credit (American Opportunity, Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits)
- Form 8880 Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions
- Form 8888 Direct Deposit of Refund
- Form 8889 Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)
- Form 8901 Information on Qualifying Children who are not dependents
- Form 8903 Domestic Production Activities Deduction
- Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
- Form 8915-E Distributions Subject to the CARES Act
- Form 8917 Tuition and Fees Deduction
- Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit
- Form 8941 Small Employer Health Insurance Premiums
- Form 8949 Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets
- Form 8958 Allocation of Tax Between Individuals in Community Property States
- Form 8960 Net Investment Income Tax Individuals, Estates, and Trusts
- Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit
- Form 8965 Health Coverage Exemptions
- Form 8995 Qualified Business Income Deduction
The MyFreeTaxes filing software is powered by TaxSlayer, which uses the highest industry standards to safeguard your information. United Way does not have access to any of your personal tax information.
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. We give people the financial education and tools to build a solid foundation that improves their lives and the lives of their children. For millions of Americans, tax refunds and credits are essential to their financial stability and success. That’s why United Way helps people save more of their hard-earned money. So far, more than 1.3 million people have used MyFreeTaxes, saving some $260 million in tax preparation fees.
United Way provides MyFreeTaxes in partnership with the IRS to help filers prepare their tax returns on their own for free.