For the first time, California workers who use an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) can claim the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and Young Child Tax Credit on their 2020 tax return.
This new expansion was made possible when Governor Newsom signed AB 1876 and means that ITIN filers are now eligible to receive up to $3,027 for the CalEITC and up to $1,000 for the Young Child Tax Credit if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Earned less than $30,000 in 2020
- Lived in California for more than 6 months in 2020
- Are not filing as ‘married filing separately’
- Are at least 18 years old
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
- Have a child or children younger than 6 years old in 2020.
ITIN filers looking for help claiming the CalEITC can utilize OC Free Tax Prep’s 100% free tax filing services offered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.