Golden State Stimulus – Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I qualify for the Golden State Stimulus Check?
Para calificar, debes:
- Have filed your 2020 taxes
- Be either:
- A CalEITC recipient
- An ITIN filer who made $75,000 or less
- Be a California resident on the date payment is issued
- Be 18 years or older as of the last date of the tax year
- Not be eligible to be claimed as a dependent
What if I already filed my taxes but didn’t file for the 2020 CalEITC?
If you were eligible for CalEITC in 2020 but forgot to include it on your tax return, you can amend your 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021.
What does it mean to be an ITIN filer?
ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. You would file with an ITIN as a substitute for filing with your social security number. If you do not have a social security number and are not eligible to obtain one, you can apply for an ITIN in order to file your tax return. To be eligible for an ITIN you must also fall into ONE of the following categories:
- Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
- U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
- Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
- Nonresident alien student, professor or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception
How much money am I eligible for?
You can receive a one-time payment of either $600 or $1,200.
- ITIN filers making $75,000 or less get $600
- ITIN filers making $75,000 or less and qualifying for CalEITC get $1,200
Is the stimulus check considered income?
No. You will not claim the Golden State Stimulus as income on your California income tax return.
When will I receive my payment?
After your 2020 tax return is processed, and if you are eligible, you will receive your payment within 45 days if you signed up for direct deposit, or within 60 days if you are getting a paper check in the mail.
Is there a deadline?
Yes. You should file your tax return by October 15, 2021 to make sure you receive your payment.
How can I file my tax return for free?
MyFreeTaxes.com is a great way to complete your tax return. It offers a huge advantage to traditional filing methods because it walks you through the whole process. As long as you enter your information into the system correctly, MyFreeTaxes.com automatically checks your eligibility for other possible deductions and tax credits. This ensures that you get the best possible tax returns and credits, which means more money in your pocket.
How can I check the status of my payment?
There is currently no way to check the status of your payment, but if it’s been longer than 45 days (for direct deposit) or 60 days (for a paper check), you can contact the tax board for help.