As of 2020, California workers who use an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) can claim the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and Young Child Tax Credit on their tax return.
This new expansion was made possible when Governor Newsom signed AB 1876 and means that ITIN filers are now eligible to receive up to $3,417 for the CalEITC and up to $1,083 for the Young Child Tax Credit if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Earned less than $30,000 in 2022
- Lived in California for more than 6 months in 2022
- Are at least 18 years old
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
- Have a child or children younger than 6 years old in 2022.
ITIN filers looking for help claiming the CalEITC can utilize OC Free Tax Prep’s 100% free tax filing services offered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.