What Documents to Gather for This Year’s Tax Filing Season

Are you ready to file your taxes? Great, because our IRS-certified volunteers are ready for you! 

To ensure you have everything you need for your appointment, it’s important to make sure you have all your necessary documents ready to go.  We’ve made it easy by putting together a list of everything you’ll need (including some important NEW things), so you know EXACTLY what to gather and bring with you to file your taxes!

Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Don’t assume you have these numbers memorized! It’s better to have these numbers written down to double-check that the numbers on the tax return are correct. This will help prevent any delays.


Bank Account and Routing Numbers

You’ll need these for a direct deposit refund, which is the fastest and safest way to get your money. This means no waiting around for your refund to arrive in the mail and guaranteed assurance that your check won’t be lost, stolen, or returned to the IRS as undeliverable.


Income Documents (e.g. W-2 Forms, 1099 Forms, etc.)

If you held a job during the last year, you should have a W-2 or 1099 form. W-2s are generally issued from employers, and you should receive one from each employer you worked for in the past year by January 31st. If you were unemployed, self-employed, retired, or working in the gig economy during 2021, you should have received a 1099 form from a bank, your employer, or some other issuing agency. If you were self-employed, you’ll likely be responsible for estimating your tax payments yourself, so be sure to do that in advance.

If you have other income documents or records of virtual currency transactions, be sure to bring those, too!


1095-A or Health Insurance Marketplace Statement

These forms are related to your health insurance, and you should have one of these documents if you had health insurance for any portion of 2021. By bringing these forms with you, you’ll be much more likely to take a premium tax credit (or reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit).


NEW FOR 2021 TAX RETURNS: Copy of IRS Letter 6475 or Your 2021 Economic Impact Payment

Did you get your stimulus check issued during 2021? If not (or if you got less than the full amount that you should have received), then you may be eligible to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit. Your Letter 6475 should confirm the amount of the third Economic Impact Payment you received.


NEW FOR 2021 TAX RETURNS: Copy of IRS Letter 6419 or 2021 Total Advance Child Tax Credit Payments

You’ll only have received these documents if you had advance Child Tax Credit (CTC) payments. If you didn’t, skip ahead! If you did, make sure to pack these documents, so you can reconcile your advance child tax credit payments.

Most of these forms usually start arriving in January by mail or are available online from employers and financial institutions. Be sure to review yours carefully—if any information is inaccurate, it’s important to contact the issuer ASAP for a correction!

Filing Taxes Has Never Been Easier

Share this:

Related Posts

Get Important Updates

Get updates on info, deadlines & extensions

*You can also text MONEYBACK to 50503 to get updates sent directly via text message.

Get Important Updates

Get updates on info, deadlines & extensions

*You can also text MONEYBACK to 50503 to get updates sent directly via text message.

You're now being redirected to MyFreeTaxes.com